Sunday, January 1, 2012
I have now decided to have a fresh start on a new blog for 2012. I thought that writing a blog would end up with me writing a novel. That really didn't happen. So this new blog is being started with a view to simply sharing the random things I do in my life.
Check it out at wwww.creative-duchess.blogspot.com.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Only two posts! I've barely looked at the CSIRO book! And I haven't done any exercise!
But I am having next week off work, so hopefully I can take some time, breath, and re-start my life come 1 January 2012.
So hold out until then and hopefully I will start blogging in earnest!
Monday, December 5, 2011
Last night I moved my coffee table out of the way and set up my Wii Fit so it would be all ready for my 7am yoga session. Unfortunately at 7 this morning my body had ideas other than getting out of bed!! So I stayed in bed, I didn't exercise, I didn't eat breakfast and it was a generally bad start!!
I did, however, measure and weigh myself!
Under boobs (the bit I'm worried about): 28.5"
Weight: 53.7kg - that was at 8.15am
And tonight for dinner I did use fillo pastry instead of puff pastry since it's meant to be better for you. I wrapped some chicken breasts up in it (there may have been ham, olives, sun-dried tomato & jalsberg on the inside) and served them with salad. So that kind of used my green portion control thingy.
Anyways, I think the realistic thing to do at the moment, is wait until the new year to start stressing about it. I could exercise tonight because I had an appointment with a celebrant, and I can't do anything tomorrow night because I won't get back from Sydney until almost 8pm! Really my life is just way to busy to be fit & healthy.
And my damn fiancé is sitting next to me eating beef jerky!! And he isn't gaining any weight! Damn him and his youthful good looks!!
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Due to some unfortunate weight gain, I have decided to make a few changes in my life.
I'm going to try and eat healthier, exercise, and actually post to my blog!!
I haven't blogged since June this year, but I have a great excuse!! Firstly I'll blame my fiancé - he takes up way too much of my time!! I've also started a new job - with the same employer but a different role, and it means that I actually don't have time to blog at work. I've downloaded a Blogging app to my iPad (supplied by work) so that hopefully I will blog more often.
So, let's start with the changes: thanks to some helpful dietitian friends I'm going to use the tools pictured below to assist me in not only eating the right things, but controlling my portion size.
Every morning I will hopefully do some Yoga on the Wii, and then I'll also hopefully include some cardio during the day as well. I'm tempted to get a bicycle and ride around a bit, but I'm paranoid about being swooped by magpies! What I should do is actually go for a skate either after work or at lunch. I think doing something after work is probably a bit more realistic, but as my friends pointed out I should do it on the way home from work, because once I get home I lose the motivation to exercise.
Tomorrow morning I will take my weight and also my waist and under-bust measurements. What I really want to change is the little roll of fat that has developed under my boobs - it's really most unattractive!!
Wish me luck!!
Monday, June 6, 2011
- Had I written something bitchy on there about her?
- Would she think that I was crazy (well, more crazy than she already thinks I am!)?
- Would she turn around and say "Wow, this is really badly written"?
She commented afterwards that reading the posts from over three years was really enlightening. She could clearly see a change in my attitude, saying that I'm now a lot happier. Apparently the New Years Eve posts were where the clearest difference could be seen - which is probably true. I know that I hated the thought of another New Years Eve alone, and so I was sure to blog about it. Now I'm not alone, but I don't blog as much. I guess now that I'm happier I don't feel I have to rant about every little thing.
Or maybe I do my ranting to my boyfriend instead!
Wednesday, May 18, 2011
* complaining about having to eat FREE duck for dinner while drinking FREE wine and participating in FREE education which is required by your profession;
* complaint about having to pay for parking while eating your FREE dinner, drinking your FREE wine and participating in FREE education which is required by your profession;
* billing people for your time, which you haven't provided, and then failing to show up to facilitate an event - which you were meant to - without any explanation (that being said, I hope that there hasn't been an accident or anything);
* registering to attend events (that cost money to put on, usually at s per head cost) and then not arriving or providing any explanation. I actually love the people who cancel on the days of an event, because at least they're cancelling!!!
* people who have no skill or knowledge being charged to run projects - they obviously fail, they frustrate the people who do know what they're doing, they end up getting praise for other people's work and it's just plain annoying!
Things that I appreciate in relation to my work:
* presenters who are so lovely that they don't make an issue of the fact that the facilitator has failed to arrive;
* members who recognize that you must be doing a lot of work, and they tell you they appreciate it;
* people who call to see if there are any places available on the day of the event, rather than those who just arrive without registering.
After having a facilitator not showing up to an event, which I really didn't want to be at either but I still went to, I just had to vent. I work with general practitioners and they seriously think that they are gods - but they're not!!!
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
It didn't even take me too long to knit. I probably started it about 4 weeks ago, and obviously I wasn't working on it all the time. I also had to undo huge portions that I had done wrong (knitted back to front and the like).
All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I bought some red wool today so that I can start knitting a vest, and I also got some green, blue and white wool so that I can knit a Raiders scarf (for the football).
I have to say that I really like knitting. It seems a lot simpler than sewing. Admittedly it's actually more difficult (the pattern reading alone takes some concentration), but it's a skill from another time, that is still valid today, and hasn't changed any since centuries ago when people first started knitting.
I just did a quick search and it seems that knitting started gaining popularity in the sixteenth century with a high demand of knitted stockings. There is also evidence of some kind of knitted stuff from even earlier...so it's definitely been around for a while.
Monday, April 18, 2011
Even though I had to sit by myself (well not with my boyfriend) I still felt really welcomed and surrounded by friends.
It was strange being there with my boyfriend, but still kind of being there alone. Because he was a groomsmen he wasn't standing with me during the ceremony, or sitting with me at dinner. So I still kind of felt like I was there alone. But once all the formalities were over it was nice to be there with a partner.
As usual at weddings I take things away that I'd like to do at a wedding, and I think of things that I definitely wouldn't do. At this wedding they had great hand painted place cards (well little canvases actually) and lolly jars for every guest. But the DJ absolutely sucked!! He was playing horrible skanky music that was not romantic at all!!
But they also had a Photo Booth there which was a lot of fun and everyone really enjoyed it. I'd like to have one at my 30th birthday as well.
All in all it was a lovely wedding!
Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Enter a book: Not your mamas knitting. Bought from an actual bookstore in an attempt to support the dying out chain that my sister was working for.
It is pretty handy and fairly easy to follow, and when it isn't easy to follow I simply head to YouTube and find a tutorial. For example, knitting on a round needle just wasn't working for me no matter how much I yelled at it. So I found a YouTube tutorial and now I should be able to do it (I haven't tried yet).
Things I have learnt:
- Cable stitch - very cool for jumpers and the like
- Fishermans rib - essential for the bottoms of jumpers and sleeves
- Assorted abbreviations - it's like a whole new language! Very strange!
Monday, March 21, 2011
The Canberra Roller Derby League (or CRDL as its known to those too lazy to say the whole thing) is the local league which features 4 teams: The BrindaBelters, The Black & Blue Belles, The Surly Griffins & The Red Bellied Black Hearts.
All of the teams are awesome, but I probably see myself as more of a Red Bellied Black Heart - they dress up as pirates when they're not playing!
I'm waiting for more information to come out about the Fresh Meat intake, but I'm all set to go. I have my skates, my helmet, pads for my knees and elbows and wrist guards. I'm planning to get out on my skates at lunch time as often as I can. I didn't today because, lets face it, I'm lazy. But hopefully I will tomorrow!
Check out http://www.canberrarollerderbyleague.com/ for more information!
Friday, February 25, 2011
The five languages are:
- words of affirmation
- quality time
- receiving gifts
- acts of service
- physical touch
But then there are the 'acts of service' - when my boyfriend carried my carry-on bag all around the airports for me. It was my choice to bring a carry on bag, and so I was prepared to carry it, but he would take it off me every time. That's love.
What is your love language - there is a link at the bottom of my blog to the 5 love languages quiz.
Monday, February 21, 2011
I realised that I have had this blog for a while now, and maybe it needed a bit of a pick-me-up. There's nothing like a new pair of shoes to make you feel better, so here they are: blue, kind of stripey, shoes.
Will this get me more readers? I don't know - probably not. But I'm going to make an effort to write about interesting things...not just ramble on about my own very boring issues.
Wish me luck!
it's not like I don't have anyone reading my blog, I just don't have the thousands that some other blogs have.
Why? Maybe it's the name of my blog "The Duchess" it's not very descriptive is it. It doesn't tell you what this blog is about. But what is this blog about? Not much - just my random musings on life, and my opinions on stuff.
The average time on the site is only 24 seconds...hmm...what can I do to get people to stay longer? Maybe I need more drama or I need something that people actually want to read about. But that is the $50,000 question, isn't it? What do you want to read about?
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
It's very frustrating when you go to do something that is meant to be your responsibility only to find it has already been done - and not because I took too long to do it, but because the other person just decided to do it themselves.
I also think that I'm going to need to say to a work mate "I sometimes feel that you think I'm stupid with the tone you use to talk to me. I have a university degree and fairly high intelligence level (proof of which can be found in the fact that I understand things more quickly and more concisely than you do) so I don't need things explained to me as though I'm retarded".
But then I run the risk of offending this person because she's highly strung.
And then I think that the more highly strung you are and high maintenance you are the more support you receive from management here. Which is a bit annoying, because I can't be bothered making a fuss for no reason, but without that fuss I don't get any recognition!
Friday, February 4, 2011
- You want things to stop?
- You want things to slow down?
- You're feeling rushed/pressured?
- Or you're just a dick?
They're probably some of the most often said words in relationships but I don't think they actually express what is going on with the person who is saying them. Especially when that person says things like "I'll always want to marry you".
So really - what does that mean!?!?!
Monday, January 10, 2011
Or a Burlesque star
Do you think any of those organisations are hiring? In Canberra!?!
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
I'm also hoping to find a new job this year that I actually like and that pays me what I'm worth...we'll see if that actually happens.
From being a spinster last New Years Eve, this time I saw the New Year in with my boyfriend who said to me "this past year has been the best year of my life because I met you. But this new year will be even better because I'll get to spend the whole year with you". And I'm so proud that I totally stopped myself from crying when he said that!!
So this year looks like it will be a coupled up happy one - no more 'independent women' or 'i don't need a man', now I'm all 'you make me feel like a natural woman'. Sickening isn't it!?!
Friday, December 24, 2010
I started 2010 probably thinking that I was never going to meet anyone, and I'll be finishing 2010 kissing the man of my dreams.
I didn't think the man of my dreams actually existed, and yes I've had to accept some less-than dream-like qualities, but I'm sure he has had to as well.
Christmas Eve will be spent with his Grandparents, then Christmas morning with his family and boxing day with my family. Things have certainly changed, and all in the space of under 5 months.
This change has also meant that I have a lot less time for the stuff that I used to do - like blogging. Now I'm living my life instead of just dreaming about what it could be. Although "living" does sometimes mean hanging out on the couch watching a DVD....but don't worry, it's usually followed by great sex!
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Wednesday, August 18, 2010
I find myself thinking "wow, he wants to see me again", "hmmm, he didn't try and makeout with me on the couch", "he holds my hand in public", "really, he told you we were together?". These are all things that I'm just not used to!
I'm so much more comfortable with telling friends "oh, we're not serious. We're just hanging out", or "I don't know when I'll see (or even hear from) him next", and then watching him dart away if anyone ever brings out a camera.
But now I'm not sure what comes next, what I'm allowed to expect of him and what he will expect of me. Can I invite him to a work dinner next week, or is that too much? Do I introduce him as my boyfriend or do we still have to have that conversation? And do I have to stop dating other people?
It's all very confusing! I also don't know what I can ask him, and what I can't! Hmmm... very strange.
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Then when we were leaving we were over-taken about three times which is extreme considering the narrow road and the fact that we were doing the speed limit.
I know that the 'Speed Kills' ads don't work too well, but if you watch them all in one sitting, well they do make a difference. Watch this video and slow down.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
It's the feeling you get when you're doing some kind of adventure sport and you know someone is keeping an eye on you.
It's that sense of safety when you feel strongly muscled arms around you.
It's the complete opposite to when you look at a guy and think "gosh, he would collapse under my weight!" or "he would never defend my honour". There was something to be said for a good old fashioned duel over a ladies honour.
Do you think that 'being able to rescue me' is too much of a princess requirement to put on you list of what you look for in a man? I worry that I may find myself torn between a man who could save me and one who couldn't. I have to admit that if everything else was equal between the two guys, the being able to rescue me would push one guy to the top of the list. But what if they can both rescue me!!
Is it too much to ask for men to compete in a series of physical challenges to win the hand of a fair maiden? I think my challenges of choice would be a joust and a caber toss!
Friday, July 30, 2010
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Monday, July 12, 2010
- Intelligent - well dah! Of course you want a guy who is at least a little bit smart!
- Kind - once again, isn't that a given?
- Extremely funny - why 'extremely' funny? How about just a little bit funny?
- Curious - what do you mean? As in 'curious about anal sex', I DON'T THINK SO!!
- Loves kids - in a pedophile way? Do you want a husband or a father?
- Financially stable - that would be good. You don't want to have to support him.
- Emotionally stable - naturally.
- Sexy - like Justin Timberlake? I don't think many guys are really that sexy.
- Romantic - that would be appreciated. But my Dad once scraped the ice off my mum's car, so she wouldn't have to do it, and I think that is more Romantic than anything in a fairy tale.
- Passionate - to the extent of doing it in a toilet at the pub? I don't think 'passion' is that important.
- Compassionate - hmm....don't really know about this one.
- Irreverent - that's a big word.
- Intuitive - how about psychic?
- Generous - considering how used I am to being spoilt, I'm going to say that this would be a good quality.
- Same religion but not too religious - I just want someone who is open about religion and not in a cult all kinds of brain-washed!
- Optimistic but not naive - just asking for too much.
- Ambitious but not a workaholic - once again, asking too much.
- Talented but humble - I'm thinking a saint would be more likely!
- Warm but not clingy - I thought she wanted someone who is passionate!
- Grounded but not boring - grounded?
- Soulful but not new-agey - what about religion?
- Vulnerable but not weak - are you serious!
- Quirky but not weird - no comment.
- Free-spirited but responsible - how about someone who wears flowers in his hair?
- Charismatic by genuine - kind of like James Bond.
- Strong but sensitive - like He-Man I'm thinking.
- Athletic but not a sports nut - what if he was one of those hot soccer players?
- Open-minded but has conviction - does this really need to be on the list?
- Decisive but not bossy - personally I kind of like it when a guy tells me what to do!
- Mature but not old - how about 'young at heart, but not young'.
- Creative but not an artist - creative how? Embroiders his own pillows?
- Supportive of my dreams and goals - this one is ok.
- Has a sense of wonderment about the world - WHAT??
- Is close to my age (shares my cultural references) - the cultural references thing makes sense.
- Good listener and communicator - maybe you'd be better off with a woman!
- Flexible and can compromise - as long as he's bendy!
- Sophisticated - well educated, well traveled, has been around - I think the well traveled and well educated options are good.
- Over 5'10" but under 6'0" - as long as he's taller than me, it's all good.
- Has a full head of hair (wavy and dark would be nice - no blonds) - I actually don't mind bald guys, and have lately been attracted not only to blonds but rangers as well.
- Has shared political views - this is a good one.
- Is not into sci-fi or comic books - this could be a problem because actually don't mind a bit of sci-fi or comic book movies.
- Has good taste/sense of aesthetics - well if he's going out with me he obviously has good taste!
- Health-conscious and physically fit - I agree with this one - but not if he tries to make me exercise.
- Cares about the community at large - and is attempting to achieve saint-hood.
- Cares about animals - this is a good point.
- Competent - well you definitely don't want him to be incompetent.
- Handy around the house - yep, I need this one.
- Cooks - as long as he can look after himself and not starve, that's good enough for me.
- Likes the outdoors (hiking, biking, Rollerblading) - I guess this would be good.
- Likes my friends (and I like his) - this is a fairly good one as well, I wouldn't want his friends to be jerks.
- Not moody - yeah, I'm moody enough for the both of us.
- Trustworthy - would I be dating him if he wasn't?
- Is a team player - are we on a team?
- Is literary and enjoys wordplay - 'wordplay' like scrabble!?!
- Is math or science oriented - I thought she wanted someone creative?
- Likes discussing (but not arguing about) world politics and world events - this would be good, although I don't mind a good argument.
- Stylish - nah, I'm stylish enough for the both of us.
- Not a slob - this is an important one.
- Is madly in love with me - yep, I want this. I want a guy to sweep me off my feet!
I'm sure that this book will continue to inspire me to write more posts, so stay tuned.