Monday, July 12, 2010

shopping list for a husband

A friend of mine has lent me the book Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr Good Enough by Lori Gottlier, and in the prologue of this book Lori has written her 'Shopping list for a man' - and to all the people who think that I'm too fussy, just check out this list (with my comments in Pink.
  • Intelligent - well dah! Of course you want a guy who is at least a little bit smart!
  • Kind - once again, isn't that a given?
  • Extremely funny - why 'extremely' funny? How about just a little bit funny?
  • Curious - what do you mean? As in 'curious about anal sex', I DON'T THINK SO!!
  • Loves kids - in a pedophile way? Do you want a husband or a father?
  • Financially stable - that would be good. You don't want to have to support him.
  • Emotionally stable - naturally.
  • Sexy - like Justin Timberlake? I don't think many guys are really that sexy.
  • Romantic - that would be appreciated. But my Dad once scraped the ice off my mum's car, so she wouldn't have to do it, and I think that is more Romantic than anything in a fairy tale.
  • Passionate - to the extent of doing it in a toilet at the pub? I don't think 'passion' is that important.
  • Compassionate - hmm....don't really know about this one.
  • Irreverent - that's a big word.
  • Intuitive - how about psychic?
  • Generous - considering how used I am to being spoilt, I'm going to say that this would be a good quality.
  • Same religion but not too religious - I just want someone who is open about religion and not in a cult all kinds of brain-washed!
  • Optimistic but not naive - just asking for too much.
  • Ambitious but not a workaholic - once again, asking too much.
  • Talented but humble - I'm thinking a saint would be more likely!
  • Warm but not clingy - I thought she wanted someone who is passionate!
  • Grounded but not boring - grounded?
  • Soulful but not new-agey - what about religion?
  • Vulnerable but not weak - are you serious!
  • Quirky but not weird - no comment.
  • Free-spirited but responsible - how about someone who wears flowers in his hair?
  • Charismatic by genuine - kind of like James Bond.
  • Strong but sensitive - like He-Man I'm thinking.
  • Athletic but not a sports nut - what if he was one of those hot soccer players?
  • Open-minded but has conviction - does this really need to be on the list?
  • Decisive but not bossy - personally I kind of like it when a guy tells me what to do!
  • Mature but not old - how about 'young at heart, but not young'.
  • Creative but not an artist - creative how? Embroiders his own pillows?
  • Supportive of my dreams and goals - this one is ok.
  • Has a sense of wonderment about the world - WHAT??
  • Is close to my age (shares my cultural references) - the cultural references thing makes sense.
  • Good listener and communicator - maybe you'd be better off with a woman!
  • Flexible and can compromise - as long as he's bendy!
  • Sophisticated - well educated, well traveled, has been around - I think the well traveled and well educated options are good.
  • Over 5'10" but under 6'0" - as long as he's taller than me, it's all good.
  • Has a full head of hair (wavy and dark would be nice - no blonds) - I actually don't mind bald guys, and have lately been attracted not only to blonds but rangers as well.
  • Has shared political views - this is a good one.
  • Is not into sci-fi or comic books - this could be a problem because actually don't mind a bit of sci-fi or comic book movies.
  • Has good taste/sense of aesthetics - well if he's going out with me he obviously has good taste!
  • Health-conscious and physically fit - I agree with this one - but not if he tries to make me exercise.
  • Cares about the community at large - and is attempting to achieve saint-hood.
  • Cares about animals - this is a good point.
  • Competent - well you definitely don't want him to be incompetent.
  • Handy around the house - yep, I need this one.
  • Cooks - as long as he can look after himself and not starve, that's good enough for me.
  • Likes the outdoors (hiking, biking, Rollerblading) - I guess this would be good.
  • Likes my friends (and I like his) - this is a fairly good one as well, I wouldn't want his friends to be jerks.
  • Not moody - yeah, I'm moody enough for the both of us.
  • Trustworthy - would I be dating him if he wasn't?
  • Is a team player - are we on a team?
  • Is literary and enjoys wordplay - 'wordplay' like scrabble!?!
  • Is math or science oriented - I thought she wanted someone creative?
  • Likes discussing (but not arguing about) world politics and world events - this would be good, although I don't mind a good argument.
  • Stylish - nah, I'm stylish enough for the both of us.
  • Not a slob - this is an important one.
  • Is madly in love with me - yep, I want this. I want a guy to sweep me off my feet!
Isn't this the longest list ever! And so specific! With a list like this I'm not surprised that she struggled to find a man. And the next time someone says that I'm too fussy I'm going to show them this list - there are things I here that I would never have thought of, and that I wouldn't event bother thinking of.

I'm sure that this book will continue to inspire me to write more posts, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I think she may be just a little bit mad. Seriously, lists are no good. You know what you need, you don't need a checklist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails