Wednesday, November 11, 2009

lest we forget

Today is the 11th day of the 11th month, and at the 11th hour we will pause to remember the many men who lost their lives on the battlefields of France (as well as in the other pointless periphery battles).

I spent an entire year studying the World Wars at University, and for my class on World War I I wrote an essay on Shell Shock. There are so many victims of war that are not counted on the casualty lists.

Howard Hughes famously stated that he "stood for 60,000 dead", but how many more were walking dead. Men who couldn't exist after the war because of the extreme conditions they were placed in. Nowadays men, even soldiers, complain about the most minor of inconveniences without a thought to the men who were living in trenches for 5 years, locked in a stalemate in a pointless battle that was simply about mens egos.

Even though I think that this war, and all wars, are pointless and painful I will still pause to remember the brave men of yesterday who we lost to their own heroic actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails