Tuesday, May 3, 2011

knitting success

I have successfully knitted a jumper!! Before I finished the jumper I had knitted a beanie (that unravelled) and a beret (that is still going strong), but this is my first ever jumper.
It didn't even take me too long to knit. I probably started it about 4 weeks ago, and obviously I wasn't working on it all the time. I also had to undo huge portions that I had done wrong (knitted back to front and the like).
All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I bought some red wool today so that I can start knitting a vest, and I also got some green, blue and white wool so that I can knit a Raiders scarf (for the football).
I have to say that I really like knitting. It seems a lot simpler than sewing. Admittedly it's actually more difficult (the pattern reading alone takes some concentration), but it's a skill from another time, that is still valid today, and hasn't changed any since centuries ago when people first started knitting.
I just did a quick search and it seems that knitting started gaining popularity in the sixteenth century with a high demand of knitted stockings. There is also evidence of some kind of knitted stuff from even earlier...so it's definitely been around for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails